Replacing paintings on your walls have always been one of the best ways to spruce up the room. If you have bought new paintings or are a painter and want to hang your masterpiece right in the middle of your room, don’t let the already hanging painting there to stop you. Old paintings can be kept with a self storage facility providing enough space to store your valuables. Now the question arises how you will store these paintings? Well, we are here with some tips that you can follow to be sure of your valuables’ safety.
- Hire a climate controlled unit as paintings exposed to extreme temperature or humidity may get ruined. Such conditions can leave a permanent crack or warp on your paintings.
- If your paintings are not framed, get them framed and make sure there are backing boards on them. These precautions will keep your painting stable and prevent any damage from buckling or bending.
- In case you are keeping many paintings in the unit, it would be great if you get the sheets of glassine to place between each painting. Glassine is basically a milky white neutral pH paper that protects the painting’s surface from dust. Silicone release paper is also used commonly for this purpose.
- You can use cardboard or any other rigid material to separate paintings in the storage unit.
- Like books, stack paintings vertically instead of horizontally. Arrange frame correctly, starting from largest then moving to smallest as it would keep the latter frames from pressing into the former one. It also prevents distortion of canvases.
If you keeping your paintings in a cheap storage, NYC for a longer period, check them after a regular interval of time for any damage.