Before Keeping Belongings in Storage Unit
Here are certain tips that you must follow for the safety of belongings before keeping them in the storage unit.
- Books: Pack them carefully to protect their spines. Do not place the boxes containing books directly on the floor, use skids or pallets.
- Appliances: These should be thoroughly dried and cleaned. Do not forget to keep the refrigerator and freezer doors slightly ajar.
- Metal Items: Wipe all the metal surfaces with a rag having a few drops of machine oil before storing.
- Furniture: Instead of keeping them straight, you can disassemble the parts like legs, etc. This would help you in saving the space in the unit. You can pack the legs and cover upholstered and wood pieces.
- Glassware and Dishes: To prevent breakage, you can cushion the top of the carton containing such items. Each glass should be wrapped individually.
- Lamps: You must wrap the lamp bases in padding. Pack and keep the lamp shades in separate cartons.
- Mirrors: These should be kept on edge and not flat in the storage unit.
- Records and Record Players: If you do not wish to pack these items, keep them on edge. Do not forget to secure tone arm and turntable for preventing bouncing.
- Tools: You can tie and them and keep them in a separate box.
Mattresses and Box Springs: Keep these belongings on long edges to provide firm support. Make sure you keep such items elevated from floor in the storage facility.