Effective moving tips for college students
Moving day can be both interesting and tiring at the same time for the college students. Consulting with a moving company may help you bring down the hassles associated with moving back into your dorm. Our own team has put together the following helpful hints to make your transition back into school smooth and orderly.
1) Leave the extra furniture at home: Avoid bringing too much extra furniture when you begin setting up your dorm. The provided furniture should usually do the trick for your year at school. Moreover, the bulky furniture pieces may occupy more space that you may need for other stuff. If you don’t have room for furniture but can’t keep it at home, then perhaps renting a storage unit for you.
2) Plan ahead for space: Finding out the measurement of your dorm room ahead of time and planning for where each piece of furniture will be going will save you time and a headache. Try planning out your floor plan ahead of time. This way you’ll be able to move the furniture right when you get in and then place your items around them.
3) Call utilities ahead of time: If your planning on moving into a local house or apartment insure that you get the utilities hooked up before hand. You’d hate to move in and not be able to use your toilet the first night! This will take stress off of you as you unpack and means you might be able to watch some TV while you unpack.
4) Hire a moving service: If you have too many things or lots of delicate pieces you may want to consider a moving service. They are pros and dealing with special items and will be able to take a lot of that first week stress of your plate.
5) List all the items you’ll need to buy: Even if you are bringing the bedding and decor from your home, you may still require some items that you may need to make the dorm life smooth. So, make a list of all the essential items that you may need before heading for shopping. Make sure that the list does not contain items that are prohibited in the university housing or dorm rooms. For instance, some dorms do not allow coffee pots or hot plates. Don’t forget your cleaning supplies! You never know when you might need them.