How to prepare toys for storage
Properly preparing and storing toys is essential to preserve their condition and ensure they remain in good shape for future use. Whether you are downsizing, organizing, or temporarily storing toys, taking the time to prepare them correctly will help prevent damage, preserve their functionality, and extend their lifespan. With that in mind, let’s delve into how to prepare toys for storage, consider a few storage options NYC has to offer, and explore some valuable tips to help you maintain their condition throughout the storage period.
How to prepare toys for storage
The very first thing you will want to do is sort your toys by category. Here are some of the most common categories:
- Plush toys
- Plastic toys
- Electronic toys
- Board games/Puzzles
- Outdoor toys
Each category of toys will have its own storage preparation process. This means that certain storage units might be more suitable for each category. That is why you might want to rent storage in NYC that can accommodate all of your toys. With that in mind, let’s take a look at how to prepare toys for storage according to category.
Preparing plush toys for storage
Here’s how you may want to prepare plush toys for storage:
- Check the care label for washing instructions. If machine washable, place them in a pillowcase or laundry bag to protect them during the wash.
- Use a mild detergent and set the machine to a gentle cycle with cold water.
- Air-dry the plush toys completely before storage.
- If necessary, brush the fur gently to restore its fluffiness.
- Place them in a clean, breathable bag or storage container to prevent dust accumulation.
Storing and organizing plush toys
Here are some additional tips:
- Store plush toys in a clean, dry, and well-ventilated area.
- Avoid storing them in areas prone to high humidity, such as basements or attics, as it can promote mold or mildew growth.
- Make sure they’re not exposed to direct sunlight to prevent fading.
If you don’t happen to have adequate storage options at your disposal, you can always turn to professionals. Professional storage units Bronx NY residents trust are carefully monitored. Therefore, they will always be the best place for your toys.
Preparing plastic toys for storage
As for plastic toys, here’s what you need to do:
- Wipe down the toys with a mixture of mild detergent and warm water using a soft cloth or sponge.
- For toys with small parts, consider disassembling them if possible to clean hard-to-reach areas.
- Give the toys a thorough rinsing and allow them to air dry fully.
- Wrap any loose parts or accessories in bubble pack or tissue paper and store them with the corresponding toy.
- Place the toys in a sturdy, lidded plastic bin or storage box, ensuring they are not overcrowded.
Storing and organizing plastic toys
Additional tips include:
- Store plastic toys in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight, as excessive heat can cause damage.
- Avoid storing them in areas prone to extreme temperature fluctuations, as it can lead to material degradation.
- If possible, arrange them in compartments or use dividers within storage containers to keep them organized.
Preparing electronic toys for storage
You will want to prepare electronic toys for storage in the following steps:
- Remove batteries to prevent corrosion and leakage. Keep batteries separately in a labeled bag.
- Wipe down the toys with a clean, dry cloth to remove any dust or residue.
- If possible, pack electronic toys in their original packaging or use padded bags or boxes to protect them.
- Store electronic toys in a climate-controlled area to prevent damage from extreme temperatures or humidity.
Storing and organizing electronic toys
Additional tips include:
- Store electronic toys in a temperature-controlled environment, preferably at room temperature.
- Keep them away from areas with excessive humidity, as moisture can damage the internal components.
- If storing for an extended period, consider removing batteries to prevent potential leakage or corrosion.
Preparing board games or puzzles for storage
Here’s how to prepare board games/puzzles:
- Check that all game pieces or puzzle pieces are accounted for. If any are missing, consider replacing them before storage.
- Place all pieces in zippered bags or sealable containers to keep them organized and prevent loss.
- Store board games and puzzles in their original boxes or use a sturdy storage container that fits them snugly.
- Ensure boxes are securely sealed to keep out dust and moisture.
Storing and organizing board games/puzzles
You will also want to:
- Store board games and puzzles in a clean, dry area where they won’t be exposed to moisture or extreme temperature changes.
- Stack them neatly on shelves or in storage containers to prevent them from getting crushed.
- Label the boxes or containers to easily identify the contents.
Preparing outdoor toys for storage
As for outdoor toys, consider the following:
- Clean outdoor toys thoroughly using mild detergent and water.
- Check for any loose parts, damage, or signs of wear and tear. Repair or replace as needed.
- If possible, disassemble larger outdoor toys to save space during storage.
- Cover outdoor toys with waterproof covers or tarps to protect them from moisture and dust.
- Store outdoor toys in a dry and sheltered area, such as a garage or shed, to prevent exposure to the elements.
If you want to prepare toys for storage but can’t spare the time to do so, professional help is readily available.
Storing and organizing outdoor toys
You may also want to:
- Clean and dry outdoor toys thoroughly before storage to prevent the growth of mold or rust.
- Store them in a covered area, such as a garage or shed, to protect them from weather elements.
- If space permits, hang or place larger outdoor toys on racks or hooks to maximize storage space.
Preparing collectibles for storage
Prepare collectibles in the following manner:
- Clean collectible toys gently with a soft cloth or brush to remove dust.
- If needed, use specialized cleaning products designed for collectible items.
- Wrap delicate collectibles individually in acid-free tissue paper or bubble pack to prevent scratches or damage.
- Place collectibles in display cases or storage containers designed for their specific size and shape.
- Store collectibles in a temperature-controlled environment away from direct sunlight to prevent fading or discoloration.
As you might imagine, you will almost always want to consign your collectibles to a professional storage unit. While NYC apartment storage might also be a good idea, your collectibles deserve all the protection they can get.
Storing and organizing collectibles
Also, you may want to:
- Store collectibles in a display case or storage container specifically designed for their size and material.
- Choose a display case or container with UV protection to shield them from sunlight.
- If stacking collectible items, place a soft layer of padding, such as acid-free tissue paper or foam, between each item to prevent scratching.
General organizational tips
Here are some general organization tips to make the entire process easier:
- Label storage containers or use clear bins to easily identify the contents of each container.
- Consider categorizing toys by type, age group, or frequency of use to make retrieval more convenient.
- Place heavier or bulkier items at the bottom of storage containers or on lower shelves to prevent crushing lighter items.
- Use shelving units, storage racks, or hanging organizers to maximize vertical storage space and keep the area tidy.
- Regularly inspect and clean the storage space to prevent dust buildup or potential pest infestations.
By maintaining a suitable storage environment and organizing your storage space effectively, you can ensure the longevity and preservation of your toys while making it easier to locate and retrieve them when needed. If you prepare toys for storage accordingly, you can rest easy knowing they will remain in great condition throughout the years.