Old and Rare Books
Book-lovers know what it means to have a collection of first editions. They are rare and valuable and need special care. There is a special level of precaution that needs to be taken while storing it. After all, there is nothing more tempting than the smell of those old pages. To keep the charm of the past alive, here are a few pointers:
- Keep the books away from direct sunlight and also from damp spots. If you cannot avoid a sunny spot, cover the book in a UV resistant plastic book cover.
- Dampness in the storage area can make the glue of the book brittle and can also be the cause for appearance of damp spots.
- While putting up these books, the books of almost the same size should be stacked together.
- Make sure that books are not stacked together too tightly. Taking care of these two factors will make sure that the spine of the book is not damaged. The spine of a text is damaged even if the book is opened too wide, avoid doing so.
- If you are moving, make sure that your books are stored in a good, sturdy cardboard box. This box should be kept on a sturdy surface, away from the other heavy boxes. The safest would be to carry it on the back seat of your car.
If you are moving and need temporary storage make sure that your movers have given you sturdy cardboard boxes, cover the box with a plastic bag and place it at a storage location in the storage unit away from heavy articles. In the end, they are worth the trouble!